Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It pays to be patient

Here's our dining room (the only room in the house with color!) on the day we moved in. Isn't that corner just asking for a corner cabinet?

We have a wonderful dining table and buffet from my grandmother (see earlier post with refinished chairs) and I have always wanted a corner hutch. Plus, a bit more storage in our dining room would help empty all those boxes.

We looked at a few furniture stores, but didn't see anything we loved. I set up a google search to alert me when any new corner hutches were added to Craigslist. Within a few weeks I had an appointment to see a hutch in Framingham. It was little cobwebby and needed a bit of love, but the price was right -- $20! We took it.

In the fall we took advantage of our new outside space and sanded down the rough patches and replaced the plywood back of the cabinet.


After a few coats of paint which matched our trim we ended up with this:

A perfect storage/displace spot in our corner (with a few Christmas decorations added). We still need to get a knob for the cabinet but overall I'm very happy with our Craigslist find that otherwise was headed to the trash!

No comments: